Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mannix Is Back

The second season of MANNIX is coming to DVD early next year, and I have to say that I really love the cover art. CBS/Paramount has released some classy looking TV box sets, including the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE sets, which also look cool (although I wish they'd use the original logo). No word yet on supplements for Season 2, even though the first season set contained several decent extras, including star Mike Connors guesting on THE MIKE DOUGLAS SHOW!

3 comments:

Ken Begg said...

Watched a lot of the Mannix first season set; it reminds you how good TV shows were in the '60s before the '70s and '80s came along. Seriously, how did we get from Mission: Impossible to Knight Rider? I will say that one street set that they constantly redressed for nearly every Mannix episode in the first season gave me the chuckles, though.

It will be interesting to see Mannix's first season as a solo private eye, which is what people bascially remember the show as.

Marty McKee said...

I'm pretty sure that street set is on the Desilu/Paramount backlot. It appeared in a lot of STAR TREK and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLEs too. When M:I's new producers started cheaping out during later seasons, the show started shooting all over the studio, using the parking lots and random administrative buildings as interior and exterior sets. I feel I know every inch of that lot by now (though I don't think it still exists).

Ken Begg said...

To be fair to the show (at that time), the reused sets are a lot more noticable when you sit down and watch the episodes one after another. Watching them once a week on the then much smaller TV screens, probably not so much.